It took just 18 days for the iPhone 5 to surpass Samsung’s Galaxy S3 in web traffic. This was revealed by research and analytics firm Chitika in a new survey.
The iPhone 5 went on sale in the US, Canada and seven other major markets on September 21st and the following week to 22 more countries. While, Samsung released the Galaxy S III on May 29th, 4 months ago. By July it was sold in 145 countries, shipping 20 million units by September 6th. Despite this the iPhone 5 managed to overtake the web traffic of the Galaxy S III.
The iPhone 5 accounted for 56% of the wbe traffic observed across Chitika’s mobile ad network with the Galaxy S III accounting for the remaining 44% of web traffic. The survey is based on a user agent analysis on millions of mobile ad impressions from October 3rd through October 9th.
This latest shift in the mobile ecosystem is not welcome news for Samsung, which has positioned its device as a direct competitor to the iPhone 5. While optimizing online content for both devices is still the smart move for businesses targeting mobile consumers, this comparison emphasizes iPhone users still being the most active – and hence marketable – users of the mobile Web.
It should be noted this is across a single network and only via ad impressions. It may not be the whole story.
[via The Next Web]