Have you updated to iOS 11.2? If so, you can now use Apple Pay Cash via the iMessages app. If you’re not sure what this feature is or how to use it, then read on.
Saturday, Apple rolled out iOS 11.2 to address an issue that caused many iPhones to randomly reboot. While the update features things like exclusive wallpapers for the iPhone X, faster wireless charging and a few other app improvements, one of the most talked about features has been Apple Pay Cash.
So, what exactly is Apple Pay Cash? Well, it’s Apple’s version of Venmo which allows two iOS 11.2 users to send and receive money via iMessages. It doesn’t matter if you are using your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch, all you have to do is simply link a debit or credit card (or use the one that’s linked to Apple Pay) to send money. Any received Apple Pay Cash will be added to the Wallet app, so you can make purchases in store and on the web anywhere Apple Pay is accepted or transfer it to your bank account. Even if a user doesn’t have an Apple Pay account, don’t worry, Apple says that users will still be able to receive money.
Apple customers who don’t already have Apple Pay set up on their supported device can still receive money from friends and family without needing to install a new app or add a card to wallet. When new users receive money for the first time, it’s simply added to their new Apple Pay Cash card once they accept the terms.
How to use it
Now that you know what Apple Pay Cash is, we’ll tell you how to use it.
1. If you aren’t running iOS 11.2, you can update by going to Settings > General > Software Update.
2. Next, you’ll have to head to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay. You should see an Apple Pay Cash card, which you’ll need to tap on.
3. Tap continue and agree to the terms and conditions.
4. In order to send money, you’ll have to have money in the account. You can add money by going to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
5. Add money to the account using the debit and credit card already in your Apple Wallet. (If you don’t have a debit or credit card linked to your wallet, you can read this article on how to add a card to your Wallet.)
6. Once you’re in the iMessages app, tap the app store icon and select Apple Pay at the bottom.
Congratulations! You’ve successfully added Apple Pay Cash to your device and can now send and receive money. You can send up to $3,000 to anyone who already has it set up. Don’t forget, you can ask Siri to send someone money using Apple Pay Cash by saying “Hey Siri, send $20 to …”
This feature is slowly rolling out to users, so be patient if it’s not showing up for you. At the moment, Apple Pay Cash is only for iOS 11.2 users in the United States but the tech giant has plans on expanding this feature to other countries.